I dare you to stop at just one of these distinctly 'home made' but totally awesome Jam Drops. These are the ultimate "whip 'em up in 10 minutes" kind of biscuit. You can bake these babies quicker than it will take you to drive to the shops and buy a packet. They combine a unique buttery crunch with the subtlety of a custard creme with their lovely jewel like topping how can you resist. Vary the Jam you use to create a whole range of wonderful flavours.
One serious word of warning, kids will scoff the lot so make sure you eat your fill before you collect your little monsters from school...
I use a 250ml Cup and a 20ml tablespoon in all my recipes.
1.5 Cups Gluten Free Self Raising Flour (I use the "Has No.." range or Orgran)
1/2 Cup Gluten Free Vanilla Custard Powder (I use White Wings brand)
125g Unsalted Butter
1/4 Cup Milk
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
Raspberry Jam or any flavour of your choice. (I like the St Dalfour Brand)
Pure Icing Sugar to dust
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (160 C if fan forced)
- Combine the Flour and Custard Powder in bowl or food processor. If in a bowl, combine them with a balloon whisk to aerate and combine, or pulse the food processor blade to combine.
- Stir in the sugar, or just add to food processor
- If using a bowl 'rub' the butter into the dry mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs. If using the food processor, add your butter and process for about 30 seconds until that breadcrumb stage.
- Add the Vanilla Essence and Milk and mix to a firm dough. If the dough is not quite holding together, add a tablespoon of cold water at a time until it holds together. Mix should be firm but not wet.
- Line a baking tray with Baking Paper (non-stick) and place small balls of the mix onto the tray. Press them down with a fork to flatten slightly then press your thumb into the centre to create an indent for your jam.
- Place a generous dollop of jam in the centre of each .
- Bake in the oven for approx 10-15 minutes or until golden.
- Cool them a little on the tray before transferring them to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Then dust lightly with a little icing sugar.