I have popped these ones together this afternoon with my own little quirks working with the ingredients I happened to have in my cupboard. My son is calling them "Blood Cupcakes" and I have to agree they do look quite gruesome. The taste however is something else entirely. Because of my use of Coconut cream (lite) in place of buttermilk and organic carob in place of cocoa the flavour may be a little different from some recipes but I like it. Its unusual in a good way. Top them with a creamy cream cheese icing to contrast in both colour and flavour from the cupcake beneath.
200g Unsalted Butter
1 cup Light Coconut Cream (or whatever milk/buttermilk you have to hand)
1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar ( you can use white vinegar, ACV was all I had)
2 tsp Red food colouring (I used Pillar Box Red)
30g (1/4 cup) Organic Carob (You can use ordinary cocoa)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
300g (2 cups) Plain GF Flour
1 tsp bicarb soda
315g (1 1/2 Cups) Caster Sugar
1 tsp Coconut essence
2 x 250g packets Cream Cheese
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- Set your oven to 160Celsius and pop your muffin cases into the muffin pan ready to go.
- Place flour, Bicarb Soda and sugar into a large bowl and sift in your Carob or cocoa powder ensuring no lumps then stir with a whisk to combine.
- In another bowl measure then melt your butter, add your coconut milk/milk or cream, eggs, vanilla and vinegar.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry mix and pour in the wet mix and stir until combined. Then add your food colouring and stir until even colour.
- Use an icecream scoop to evenly fill your muffin cases then bake for approx 15-20 minutes every oven varies.
- Transfer to wire rack and allow to cool completely before icing.
- Now make your cream cheese icing by bringing cream cheese and butter to room temp and using a handheld beater beat until combined then add your icing sugar and beat until smooth. Ice then refrigerate your cakes or icing will melt off.
I hope you enjoy these they are just beautiful,