Tuesday 13 September 2011

Mango Coconut Bread


If I had to pick one food to live on forever on a desert island, what would I pick ?  Mangoes ! Truly these little gems are foods of the Gods.


Mangoes always seemed like such an exotic and tropical fruit when I lived in New Zealand and especially when living in London.  It conjured up images of tropical beaches, palm trees and holidays.  How very fortunate that I now live in a place that produces mangoes by the truckload.  At the end of summer here in Queensland, Australia, there is usually a glut of them and you can pick up whole trays of mangoes for about $15 each (about 50c/mango!)  So each year I buy a tray.  I skin and package up the cheeks and freeze them for use over the winter months in deserts, baking, smoothies etc.


I came across a recipe for a Mango Bread today and thought I would give it a go with a Gluten Free twist and throw in some other bits and bobs I had lying around.  I thought Coconut would be a good match with the Mango, I had some beautiful fresh pecan nuts and some plump juicy sultanas - in they all went.  I used a Macadamia Oil in this recipe also so a very Australian recipe indeed.

Ingredients
2 Cups Plain GF Flour
2 teaspoons Baking Soda
1 teaspoon GF Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 Cup Sugar
1/4 Cup Oil (Macadamia or vegetable)
1/2 Cup Melted Unsalted Butter
1/2 Cup Chopped Nuts (I used Pecans, Macadamia or walnuts would also be nice)
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1.5 Cups Finely Chopped Mango (you could use fresh, or tinned even)
2 Eggs, beaten
1/2 Cup Sultanas or Raisins



  1. Heat Oven to 160Celsius (fan forced) or 180 if not fan forced.
  2. Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
  3. Combine your dry ingredients together in a large bowl and mix with a balloon whisk to aerate flour.
  4. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add all the other ingredients into the bowl.
  5. Stir well to combine,
  6. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until a wooden skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.  Mine actually took about 90 minutes so remember every oven is different.  Use the wooden skewer and keep checking every 5 minutes after 1hr passes.
  7. Leave to cool slightly before removing from the tin.
This makes a beautiful but moist loaf that will keep well in an airtight container for a few days.  It is easier to slice when completely cooled.  Enjoy cold, perhaps with a scrape of butter or warmed slightly with some mango puree drizzled over...mmm yummy.

Enjoy, 
Lxx

No comments:

Post a Comment